Thursday, November 5, 2009

Herb Lamb Stew in the Slow Cooker

Disclaimer: I am not the greatest cook, and it's not something I enjoy very much. I tend to make the favorite 7 or 8 meals over and over again. But occasionally I step out of my comfort zone and try something new (because I like being married, KWIM?). I am a by-the-book cook, and find it scary to tweak recipes.

But this tweaked recipe worked well, so I'll share it here.

Herb Lamb Stew in the Slow Cooker

2 lbs. lamb stew meat
1 large onion, cut in chunks
6-10 small red potatoes
4-5 carrots, cut in chunks
1-2 ribs celery, cut in chunks
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup red wine (I used a cheap merlot)
3 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/8 tsp. allspice
1/4 tsp. thyme
2 bay leaves
6 Tbsp. Minute Tapioca
12-16 oz. of canned tomatoes*

Layer all in the slow cooker in order. Cover and cook on high for 6 hours.

*I used 12 oz. of a chunky salsa from last year that we didn't like--I'm trying to use it up by cooking with it. We tend to not like quite to much liquid in our stew, so I opted for much less canned tomatoes than the recipe called for. You could easily go upwards of 16 oz. if you like lots of tomatoey liquid.

No, I didn't take photos. We were hungry! Besides, who can compete with the photos in cookbooks and on cooking blogs? You'll just have to use your imagination...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This