Wednesday, January 16, 2013

This is Not a Food Blog

And I am not a foodie blogger. I'm not even all that great of a cook. I can keep people from starving, but I tend to fall back to the old favorites instead of being creative.

However, in the interest of getting more people to eat beans, I will give you a peek at what I did yesterday. We can pretend that I am a foodie blogger, just for once.


I was hungry for chili, and so got out some Jacob's Cattle, Jacob's Cattle Gold, and Black Valentine beans. Three-Bean Chili sounded good. I decided to cook the Jacob's Cattle and Jacob's Cattle Gold in the traditional way--bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer until fork tender. But I'd been talking with a customer who pressure cooks all her beans. And I thought I'd try it myself with some of the beans. So I started with 2 cups of Black Valentine beans and 4 cups of water. 


My trusty Mirro Pressure Canning book suggested adding a Tbsp. of vegetable oil to prevent foaming. I am not a big fan of foaming, and so I took the suggestion.



I pressure cooked the beans for 20 minutes at 15 pounds of pressure.


I then ran the pressure cooker under cold water, while GENTLY releasing the pressure slowly by tilting the weighted jiggler ever so slightly.


When it stopped hissing, I removed the cover and found cooked beans! And no foam. =) Next time I will not run cold water over the cooker or release pressure quickly by tilting the weighted jiggler. The beans were cooked, but not quite to my liking. I think an extra 15 minutes in the cooker as the pressure naturally came down would have finished the job nicely.

P.S. The chili was very good!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This